Autumn is a great time to try out new recipes and enjoy the earthy, rich aromas of the season. There are lots of delectable options throughout the fall, whether you’re preparing food for a get-together with family, a special supper at home, or simply to appreciate the seasonal foods.
Nothing beats a chilly fall or winter day when you return home to a pot of this comforting stew simmering…
Dutch Oven Classic Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups sliced red onion (from 1 red onion)
- 3 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock, divided
- 1 bundle (tied with kitchen twine) thyme sprigs (about 4 large sprigs) and flat-leaf parsley sprigs (about 2 large sprigs)
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 ounces baby gold potatoes (cut any larger potatoes in half)
- 10 ounces frozen pearl onions (about 1 3/4 cups), thawed
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Sprinkle beef with pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Add half of the beef to the Dutch oven and cook until well browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the browned beef to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef. Set beef aside.
- Add mushrooms to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the red onion and carrots to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add red wine; cook until liquid has almost evaporated, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring and scraping to loosen browned bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup of the stock in a small bowl; whisk into the mixture in the Dutch oven until incorporated. Stir in beef, herb bundle, bay leaves, remaining 2 cups stock, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until beef is tender when pierced with a fork, about 50 minutes. Add potatoes; cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms, pearl onions, mustard, and red wine vinegar into the beef mixture. Cook, uncovered, until pearl onions are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard herb bundles and bay leaves. Ladle the stew into bowls and sprinkle with chives.
Fall is a great season to try out new recipes and enjoy the hearty, earthy tastes it has to offer!
To prepare a delicious Dutch oven-classic beef stew, you’ll need a few essential pieces of food equipment. First and foremost, a durable and generously sized Dutch oven is a must. This heavy, thick-walled pot is perfect for slow cooking and allows you to sear the beef and simmer the stew to perfection. A sharp chef’s knife will be essential for cutting the beef into chunks and chopping vegetables like onions, carrots, and celery. Additionally, a cutting board, wooden spoon, and ladle come in handy for stirring, sautéing, and serving your hearty stew. To ensure your beef stew cooks evenly and retains its flavors, a meat thermometer is an excellent tool to have on hand for checking the meat’s internal temperature. Finally, a cooktop stove or range ovens, along with a heat-resistant trivet or oven mitts, will be used to control the cooking process. With these kitchen essentials, you can create a mouthwatering Dutch oven-classic beef stew that’s both hearty and satisfying.
Purchase All Your Commercial Kitchen Equipment From The FED (Foodservice Equipment Depot)
Explore our diverse selection of high-quality commercial kitchen equipment for all your culinary needs. Enjoy a seamless online ordering experience, ensuring fast and frictionless access to professional-grade food service equipment. Shop at our Restaurant Supply Online Store.