During the holidays, there’s nothing quite like Honey-Bourbon-Glazed Ham for a mouthwatering culinary experience that tantalizes the senses and makes parties more memorable. Perfectly cooked, the ham has a mouthwatering blend of sweet and savory flavors, and the thick, caramelized glaze gives it a glossy shine that begs to be enjoyed. The rich, smoky appeal of whiskey and the golden sweetness of honey combine harmoniously in each soft slice to create a palate-pleasing symphony. Every mouthful of the glaze-coated ham is a culinary adventure, as its exquisite crust preserves its succulent flavor. The glaze is a masterwork in and of itself. The Honey-Bourbon-Glazed Ham becomes the focal point of a festive spread as the scents of the season fill the air.
recipe & picture by: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/honey-bourbon-glazed-ham
- One 18-pound, bone-in whole or spiral-cut smoked ham, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 star anise pods
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 garlic cloves
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 dried red chile
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 cups bourbon
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Place the ham in a large roasting pan and add 1 cup of water. Cover the pan with foil and bake the ham for about 2 hours and 45 minutes, basting occasionally with any accumulated juices, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 120°.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with 2 tablespoons of water and cook over moderately high heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until a lightly golden caramel forms, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and quickly add the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, star anise, bay leaves, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, chile and orange zest; let sit for about 20 seconds, until fragrant. Carefully add the bourbon, soy sauce and honey. Return the glaze to a simmer and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and brush the ham with the glaze. Roast for 30 minutes longer, glazing every 10 minutes, until the top is lightly caramelized. Transfer the ham to a platter and let rest for 15 minutes. Skim the fat from the pan juices and transfer them to a bowl. Serve the ham with the pan juices.
A good convection oven is essential to achieving the ideal balance of caramelized glaze and luxurious suppleness. Using a professional-grade carving knife ensures that the ham’s rich flavors are showcased in precise, clean slices. Having a reliable meat thermometer is crucial to ensuring the ham is cooked to perfection. To guarantee equal cooking and glaze caramelization, use a robust roasting pan with a fitted rack. The ham is then delicately brushed with the delectable honey and bourbon mixture using a pastry brush, which adds a harmony of flavors that lifts the meal to the next level. Having these instruments at your disposal makes creating a delicious Honey-Bourbon-Glazed Ham a simple and delightful culinary project.
Purchase All Your Commercial Kitchen Equipment From The FED (Foodservice Equipment Depot)
- Explore our diverse selection of high-quality commercial kitchen equipment for all your culinary needs. Enjoy a seamless online ordering experience, ensuring fast and frictionless access to professional-grade food service equipment. Shop at our Restaurant Supply Online Store.